KINDERGARTEN FOR 4.5 to 5 YEAR OLDS
Our Kindergarten programs are full of rich language, differentiated, hands-on learning. NATURE/LITERACY JOURNALS will be a focus in this pod. Open-ended exploratories in nature, coupled with weekly fine motor and writing skills, literacy, mathematical & scientific reasoning activities. Social personal development is a big focus in our program; problem-solving skills, turn-taking, practicing compassion and kind words are key. Other aspects of our Kindergarten include:
- Kindergartners also complete independent work and exploration in the classroom, along with parental commitment to nightly reading practice and sight words at home, as a supplement to school.
- Nature Kindergarten pod will receive 1 ½ – 2+ hours per day of small group & 1:1 guidance; outdoor nature walkabouts – both structured & unstructured are also included, as well as differentiated classroom table and group activities.
- Milestone assessment performed by a highly-experienced teacher. Quarterly Report Cards will be issued. Individual conferences are held virtually on a case-by-case basis, if needed. Daily parent-teacher communication; homework and class work folders sent home regularly along with reading material.
- Cat Sun utilizes a *Math Their Way* curriculum. Nature archiving, curation, and categorization is contextualized via regular outdoor walk-a-bouts.
- Catoctin Sun Nature Kindergarten is licensed through MSDE as an educational preschool & kindergarten program; parallel learning between the two groups occurs daily.
- Our school’s Reggio Emilia philosophy encourages Kindergarteners to offer “helping hands” when appropriate, while interacting alongside younger children.
- Curriculum that addresses standards for kindergarten, as found in Supporting Every Young Learner: Maryland’s Guide to Early Childhood Pedagogy, Birth to Age 8: https://earlychildhood.marylandpublicschools.org/system/files/filedepot/3/pedagogyguide- learningstandards_042015_1.pdf.
- Interpretation of the Common Core into a hands-on, nature-based program is key. We teach to the child, not to “the test.”
Schedule & Pricing
Full Week – Monday through Friday
9:15am – 1:30pm
$242/wk or $968/m